Aftercare: The Benefits & More
The addiction treatment and recovery process is ongoing. Addiction is a chronic disease that is manageable once the addict learns healthy coping skills. Inpatient treatment is the best way to get sober, but once someone leaves, the real work starts.
Sadly, a significant number of people who attend an inpatient recovery treatment center, are going to end up relapsing within a year. Fortunately, there are steps that people can take to reduce the chances of relapsing.
What is Aftercare?
Aftercare is a form of addiction treatment that starts when someone first attains sobriety and continues with the recovery process. There are various types of aftercare that can be modified to meet the needs of the recovering addict:
- Outpatient programs including one on one counseling sessions with a trained therapist, counselor, or psychiatrist
- An intensive outpatient program including several hours of counseling per day, acting like a stepping stone that will help someone reintegrate into society
- Individual therapy with a licensed therapist
- 12-step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous
- Support groups outside of Alcoholic Anonymous, where people come together and share their experiences
- Sober living homes. This is a safe place to live that holds the addict accountable and helps them find employment.
Aftercare plans can include one or a combination of the above mentioned. We cannot stress the importance of aftercare enough. It’s can be difficult to get sober but it can be very easy to relapse.
Benefits of Aftercare
When someone decides to participate in the aftercare process, they are making an investment in their long-term sobriety. There are a few major benefits as to why someone should take advantage of an aftercare program that is meant for them:
- Aftercare provides a smooth transition from an inpatient program to the real world
- Aftercare provides a strong support system with like-minded individuals
- Aftercare teaches an addict life skills like dealing with cravings, managing stress, starting a career, and preventing relapse
How Does Aftercare Provide Long-Term Sobriety?
Aftercare provides long-term sobriety in a number of ways. The most important way that aftercare is going to contribute to someone’s long-term sobriety is that it provides the addict with a support system. One of the biggest challenges after completing inpatient treatment is integrating back into society. It’s very easy for an addict to fall back into the old habits. Especially when they hang out with the same people they got high with. Meeting other recovering addicts and being able to lean on them for emotional support is imperative to staying sober. If someone is dropped right back into the world that led to addiction, this is going to lead to a relapse.
Aftercare also helps people remain accountable to their pledge to sobriety. Continuing to do therapy and mindful activities will keep an addict sober.
Let Us Help You Overcome Addiction
At Rise in Malibu, we are a brand new luxury drug rehab program located in Malibu, CA. We sit just off the cliffs of the Pacific Ocean. The scenery that people can enjoy as they receive addiction treatment is unparalleled, which will help everyone with the recovery process as they pursue sobriety. Our professionals have received an extensive amount of training that can provide everyone with the tools they need to be successful on their journey. To learn more about the unique features and benefits of our program, please contact us today! We would be honored to help you!